Over 70s Medical Card


Medical Cards for over 70s
If you are under 70 years of age Medical Cards are means tested. Contact your local Citizens Information Centre or Local Heath Service Executive for income guidelines.
Between 2001 and 2008 everyone aged over 70 was entitled to a medical card without a means test.
From January 2009 there are gross income limits of €700 per week for a single person and €1,400 per week for a married couple. There will be no standard deductions allowable (for example, for income tax). However, people over these limits can still apply on a hardship basis, for example if you have high medical expenses.
Pensions, earnings, interest from capital and all other sources of income are included in the means test.
Click here to apply for your Medial Card online.
Spouse aged under 70 years
Where one spouse is aged over 70 years and the other spouse is aged under 70 years, they will both qualify for a medical card if their income is below €1,400 a week.
If your spouse or cohabiting partner dies after 1st January 2009 and you are aged over 70, you can keep your medical card for 3 years, provided that your income is less than €1,400. After the 3 years the relevant income for a single person applies.
Capital applicants aged over 70 years
Capital (savings and investments) is assessed differently for people aged over 70 years than for those aged under 70. For those aged over 70 years, it is only the actual interest earned on capital that is taken into account, not the capital amount. Income from the first €36,000 of capital for a single person and €72,000 for a couple is not counted.
The H.S.E. wrote to all people aged 70 and over informing them of the new arrangements. Only people who have income above the limits need reply, otherwise everyone else simply keeps their card.
Out-of-Hours G.P. Services
The G.P. out-of-hours service is an urgent medical service provided by doctors and nurses outside normal practice hours.
The opening hours for this service are 6.00 p.m. to 8.00a.m and 24 hours weekends and public holidays. If you have a medical card or a G.P. card the service is free. If not, the doctor will charge a fee for the visit. Medical advice given by nurses or doctors over the phone is free of charge.

Medical Card Dental Cover
Dental treatment for medical card holders is provided by dentists who hold a contract with the HSE. A list of participating dentists is available in each area. Further information can be obtained from your dentist or from the HSE at 1850 24 1850.

Treatments allowable under the scheme are: Examination - One per calendar year 
                                                                 Fillings -     Two per calendar year 

Prior approval based on clinical necessity, can be requested by the dentist  from the HSE for other treatments e.g. root treatments, dentures

Call the H.S.E. information Line on 1850 241 850 to find your local service.
Contact Citizens Information or your local Health Centre for more information.

Carlow/Kilkenny HSE, Community Services, James's Green, Kilkenny. Tel: 056 7784761 & 056 7784633